HAVE you seen Herbie?

Pics by Onyait Odeke
I spotted Herbert Nizeyimana while I was driving around Kamwokya, Kampala, one day on another boda and loved his sunnies. It may not be best practice to call out to another boda when you've already got a driver, a bit like two-timing someone, but I just had to find out where he got his glasses from, and neither party seemed to mind that I was getting his number. I went back to see Herbie another day and with the help of Onyait Odeke and William, get some snaps. Herbie, 26-year, later told us over a hot chocolate at Cafe Javas Mengo how he got into the trade:

"I've been a boda driver for three years. After finishing primary school in Kisoro (western Uganda) I was making chapattis for a living but it wasn't benefitting me enough so I got a loan and bought the bodaboda for about three million shillings ($1,128 USD). After 13 months I'd earned enough to pay it off. I have a wife and daughter and work six days a week from 8.30am and am back by 6pm. I earn on average 45,000 shillings ($17) a day but can get up to 70,000 ($26.50) on a good day.

He manages to look cool even when filling up.


"I'm doing it because it's the best thing I can do at the moment given my level of education, but if I had an alternative I would opt out. The best thing about my job is that I'm self-employed and I work for myself. Because of this I've been able to build my own house and take care of my wife and daughter and that makes me happy.

City Oil is where it's at.


"Bodaboda riders are killed all the time and have their bikes stolen. The road laws don't seem to recognize them as road users. The taxi drivers don't recognize them as road users and don't give us space on the roads.

"I had an accident once and hurt my leg. My wife and baby both go on the boda. I know it's dangerous and they can get knocked off. The doctor advised me not to have the baby on the boda.

Ready to take off again.


"If I had more money, I'd actually become a proper chauffeur."

Chasing Herbie on the road with the help of William and Onyait

This was also the day that your truly combined a red Topshop dress with a pair of Bata heels on the boda . GREAT shot Onyait!




Comments